Rishikesh is a peaceful and lively town in the Himalayas, by the holy Ganges River. It’s a great place for all kinds of travelers. Whether you want to find inner peace, have exciting adventures, or just relax away from the busy city life, Rishikesh has something for you. In this blog, we’ll tell you about the places you should visit, give you some useful travel tips, and share the amazing things you can do in this lovely Indian spot.
Places to visit:
- Laxman Jhula and Ram Jhula: These iconic suspension bridges offer mesmerizing views of the Ganges and are steeped in Hindu mythology. You can explore quaint temples, ashrams, and vibrant markets on both sides.
- Triveni Ghat: It’s the confluence of three holy rivers: the Ganges, Yamuna, and Saraswati. Every evening, it comes alive with the captivating Ganga Aarti, a spiritual ritual that you must witness.
- The Beatles Ashram (Chaurasi Kutia): A visit to this abandoned ashram is a must for Beatles fans. It’s a place of peace and inspiration where the band once stayed and composed their famous songs.
- Neelkanth Mahadev Temple: Located 12 km from Rishikesh, this ancient Shiva temple amidst dense forests offers a serene escape and picturesque surroundings.
- Rajaji National Park: Nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts can embark on a thrilling safari to spot diverse flora and fauna, including elephants, tigers, and a variety of bird species.
- Adventure Activities: Rishikesh is the adventure capital of India, offering white-water rafting, trekking, camping, and bungee jumping experiences that will get your adrenaline pumping.
Most travelers to India need a visa. You can apply for an e-Tourist Visa (eTV) or a traditional tourist visa at your nearest Indian embassy or consulate. The eTV is usually easier to obtain and is valid for 60 days, allowing for double entries. Make sure to check the latest visa requirements and regulations before planning your trip.
Costs and Fees:
Air Ticket Fees:
The cost of air tickets to Rishikesh can vary depending on your departure location and the time of year. On average, international flights to Delhi, which is the nearest major airport, can range from $500 to $1500 or more. From Delhi, you can either catch a domestic flight to Dehradun, the nearest airport to Rishikesh, or take a scenic train or bus ride.
Traveling within Rishikesh is relatively affordable. Local buses and autorickshaws are cost-effective ways to get around, and hiring a taxi for day trips is also reasonably priced. It’s advisable to negotiate prices beforehand.
Rishikesh offers a wide range of accommodation options to suit all budgets. You can find guesthouses and hotels for as low as $10 per night, mid-range hotels for around $30 to $60 per night, and luxury resorts for $100 and up. Many of these accommodations offer stunning views of the Ganges and the surrounding hills.
- Adventure Activities: Rishikesh is known for its adventure sports, and activities like white-water rafting, trekking, and bungee jumping can be a significant part of your trip. The cost of these activities can vary depending on the provider, the duration, and the level of adventure. It’s a good idea to do research and book these activities in advance to get an idea of the costs.
- Entrance Fees: Many tourist attractions in and around Rishikesh may have entrance fees. This could include visiting temples, ashrams, and other cultural sites. Be sure to check in advance which places you plan to visit and their entrance fees. Some may be free, while others may have a nominal fee.
- Food and Souvenirs: Exploring the local cuisine is a must when traveling, and Rishikesh offers a variety of options, from street food to restaurants. Make sure to allocate a budget for meals. Additionally, don’t forget to sample some of the local snacks and dishes. Also, consider picking up souvenirs like clothing, jewelry, or handicrafts from the local markets, such as the Laxman Jhula Market and Ram Jhula Market. Prices for these items can vary, so it’s a good idea to set aside some money for shopping.
Food & Lifestyle
Biryani: Biryani is a tasty Indian rice dish made with fragrant spices, herbs, and your favorite meat or vegetables.
Aloo Ke Gutke: Aloo Ke Gutke is a local specialty of Uttarakhand and a delicious vegetarian dish. It consists of spiced and roasted potatoes that are packed with flavor. It’s a great accompaniment to local bread like roti or paratha.
Chana Masala: People typically cook Chana masala by simmering chickpeas in a flavorful tomato sauce and enjoying it with rice or various types of bread such as naan or chapati.
Vegetarian and Vegan Options: Rishikesh is known for its vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurants. You can find a wide range of plant-based dishes, from vegan curries to lentil soups and fresh salads. Many restaurants in the town cater to the dietary preferences of health-conscious individuals.
Masala Chai: Masala chai is a spiced tea that’s famous throughout India. It’s made by brewing black tea with a mixture of aromatic spices like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. In Rishikesh, you can have a delicious cup of spiced tea at a nearby tea stall or a cafe by the river. It’s a soothing and flavorful drink.
Rishikesh’s lifestyle is deeply rooted in spirituality and yoga. It’s common to see yoga practitioners meditating on the ghats or in ashrams. The town has a calm and welcoming atmosphere, which encourages inner reflection and a slower pace of life.
- Comfortable walking shoes for exploring on foot.
- Travel adapters for Type D and Type C power plugs
- Travel insurance for unexpected mishaps
- Medications and a basic medical kit.
- Important travel documents and copies
- The local currency is cash.
- Cultural sensitivity and respect for local customs.
- Water purification for safe drinking water
- Consider a local SIM card for mobile connectivity.
Apart from the aforementioned attractions, consider engaging in yoga and meditation classes or experiencing Ayurvedic spa treatments. Rishikesh offers the perfect environment to reconnect with your inner self and achieve a sense of spiritual well-being.
Rishikesh is a special place that you’ll always remember. It’s perfect for people looking for spiritual knowledge, those who love adventure, or just anyone wanting a peaceful getaway. Rishikesh has beautiful scenery, a rich culture, and a calm way of life. It’s a spot where you can relax, discover new things, and feel refreshed. So, get your bags ready, make a travel plan, and go on a trip to learn about yourself and explore the wonderful town of Rishikesh.