Alexandria is a beautiful city on the coast of Egypt, by the Mediterranean Sea. It’s known as “The Pearl of the Mediterranean” because it’s a special place that mixes history, culture, and stunning views. In this tour blog, we’ll show you the best places to visit in Alexandria, what you need to do there, how much it costs, where to stay, where to eat, and more. Whether you love history, food, or exploring different cultures, Alexandria has something for everyone.
Places to visit:
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina: Begin your exploration at the modern Bibliotheca Alexandrina, a homage to the ancient Great Library of Alexandria. This architectural marvel houses an extensive collection of books, manuscripts, and artifacts.
- Qaitbay Citadel: This 15th-century fortress, built on the site of the legendary Pharos Lighthouse, offers a glimpse into Alexandria’s maritime history. Explore its towers and enjoy panoramic views of the Mediterranean.
- Montaza Palace: Stroll through the lush Montaza Palace Gardens and visit the royal palace. The stunning architecture and picturesque gardens make it a great place for relaxation and photography.
- Pompey’s Pillar: Marvel at this massive Roman Column, which stands as a testament to Alexandria’s rich history. It’s a popular spot for history buffs and offers insight into the city’s ancient past.
- Alexandria National Museum: Immerse yourself in the city’s history through the exhibits at the Alexandria National Museum. It showcases artifacts from different eras, including the Pharaonic, Graeco-Roman, and Islamic periods.
- Catacombs of Kom EI Shoqafa: Explore these fascinating underground burial chambers that feature a blend of Egyptian, Greek, and Roman architectural styles.
- Stanley Bridge: Enjoy a relaxing walk on the Stanley Bridge, especially during sunset. The bridge offers a stunning view of the Mediterranean Sea and is an ideal spot for a romantic evening.
- Corniche: Take a leisurely walk along the picturesque Corniche and enjoy the sea breeze. This bustling waterfront area is dotted with cafes and restaurants.
- Royal Jewelry Museum: Admire an impressive collection of jewelry, including items owned by the Egyptian royal family, at this unique museum.
Before embarking on your journey to Alexandria, you’ll need to consider the visa requirements. Most travelers to Egypt require a visa. You can apply for an Egyptian tourist visa at an Egyptian embassy or consulate in your home country. The process typically involves filling out an application, providing the required documents, and paying a fee. It’s recommended to check the latest visa requirements and processing times with the nearest Egyptian diplomatic mission.
Costs & Fees:
Air Ticket Fees:
The cost of airfare to Alexandria can vary depending on your departure location, the time of year, and the airline you choose. On average, a round-trip ticket from major cities in Europe or the Middle East may cost between $400 to $800. However, it’s advisable to book your flights well in advance to secure the best deals.
Your travel expenses in Alexandria will depend on your travel style and preferences. On average, a daily budget of $50 to $100 is sufficient to cover accommodation, meals, transportation, and entrance fees to attractions. Keep in mind that the cost of tours, souvenirs, and other activities may vary.
Alexandria offers a range of accommodations, from budget-friendly hostels to luxury hotels. Here’s an approximate cost per night for different type of lodging:
- Budget Hostel: $10-$30
- Mid-Range Hotel: $50-$100
- Luxury Hotel: $150 and above
It’s recommended to book your accommodation in advance, especially during the peak tourist season.
Apart from accommodation and airfare, here are some additional costs to consider:
- Entrance fees to historical sites and museums: These can range from $2 to $10 per attraction.
- Transportation within the city: Taxis and public buses are affordable options, but consider allocating around $10 per day for transportation.
- Guided tours: Prices vary, but a half-day tour may cost between $20 to $50.
Food & Lifestyle
Alexandria is a culinary paradise, offering a diverse range of Egyptian and Mediterranean dishes. Must-try local delicacies include:
Koshari: A hearty vegetarian dish made from lentils, rice, macaroni, and a tangy tomato sauce.
Seafood: Savor the freshest catches of the day, from grilled fish to seafood tagines.
Ful Medames: A traditional Egyptian breakfast dish made from fava beans, served with various toppings.
Baklava: indulge in these sweet, flaky pastries, often served with a hot cup of tea.
The lifestyle in Alexandria is a blend of traditional Egyptian customs and modern Mediterranean influences. Locals are friendly and welcoming, and you’ll find a relaxed atmosphere throughout the city. Be sure to respect local customs, such as dressing modestly when visiting religious sites, and haggling is a common practice when shopping in local markets.
- Travel Insurance: Ensure you have comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical emergencies and trip cancellations.
- Comfortable Footwear: Wear comfortable shoes for exploring historical sites and walking along the Corniche.
- Currency: Egyptian Pounds (EGP) are widely used, but credit cards are accepted in many places.
- Adapters: Egypt uses the Europlug and Schuko plug types, so bring the necessary adapters for your devices.
- Sun Protection: Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat are essential to protect yourself from the Egyptian sun.
Aside from the main attractions, consider these additional experiences to enhance your trip:
- Take a boat ride on the Mediterranean and enjoy the coastal views.
- Visit local markets and haggle for souvenirs and handicrafts.
- Attend a traditional Egyptian music or dance performance to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Explore the nearby beaches and enjoy water activities such as snorkeling and scuba diving.
Exploring Alexandria is a journey through time and culture. The city’s rich history, stunning landmarks, and delectable cuisine make it a must-visit destination for any traveler. With careful planning, including visa arrangements and budget considerations, you can have an unforgettable experience in this enchanting city. So, pack your bags, get ready to explore Alexandria, and make memories that will last a lifetime in this Mediterranean gem.